NOTICE: The WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon has been postponed until next weekend, November 21-22-23. We will promote everyone’s post as usual during those three days.
To all participants – thank you for your patience and understanding.
Kellee, Paula and Aurora
WE’RE BACK for number 4!
To say we’re thrilled is an understatement and we hope you’ll join us in spotlighting the Edmund Gwenns and Spring Byingtons of the world, the oft forgotten names that never appeared above the title. If this is right up your movie alley then give us a shout out…
And please adhere to the following:
- Let one of the hosts know which character actor is your choice. Since there are so many greats worthy of mention, we won’t take any repeats and we’re not limiting these to “classic” actors. AND since the medium of Television has featured such greats through the years as well we’re widening the field to include small-screen characters this year.
- Don’t take it for granted we know exactly who you are or where your blog resides – please include the title and url to your blog.
- Publish the post for either November 14, 15 & 16. Let us know if you have a date preference, otherwise we’ll split publicizing duties equally among the three days.
- Please include the blogathon graphic on your blog to help us publicize the event and include it in your post.
- It would be really helpful if you can send any of us the direct link to your post. Searching on social media sites can lead to missed entries.
- HAVE FUN and spread the word! There are many great characters worthy of attention.
Scroll down for the list of participants and character actor choices.
A big thank you – HAPPY BLOGGING!
The faces on the banner:
Row 1: (L-R) Eddie “Rochester” Anderson, Margaret Dumont, Edward Arnold, Albert Dekker, Ann Miller, Leon Errol
Row 2: (L-R) Dan Duryea, Eugene Palette, Aline MacMahon, Charles Coburn, Lee J. Cobb, Billie Burke
Row 3: (L-R) Spring Byington, Walter Brennan, Hattie McDaniel, Gene Lockhart, Margaret O’Brien, Edgar Kennedy
Row 4: (L-R) Eric Blore, Franklin Pangborn, Frank Morgan, Guy Kibbee, Gloria Grahame, Jane Darwell
Row 5: (L-R) Judith Anderson, Edward Everett Horton, Eve Arden, S.Z. “Cuddles” Sakall, Thelma Ritter, Louis Calhern
Row 6: (L-R) Charles Lane, Kim Hunter, David Wayne, Louise Beavers, Cecil Kellaway, Shemp Howard
Participating blogs and chosen Character Actors
(Listed alphabetically by actor)
Now Voyaging – Robert Barratt
In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood – Ethel Barrymore
Girls Do Film – Louise Beavers
Four Star Films – Noah Beery, Jr.
Aperture Reviews – Whit Bissell
Movies Silently – Elmer Booth
Smitten Kitten Vintage – Joe E. Brown
In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood – Spring Byington
Caftan Woman – Harry Carey and Harry Carey, Jr.
Once Upon a Screen – Leo G. Carroll, a Hitchcock Favorite
Speakeasy – Eduardo Ciannelli
Phyllis Loves Classic Movies – Charles Coburn
Silver Scenes – Robert Coote
Tales of the Easily Distracted – Lloyd Corigan in THE BIG CLOCK and BOSTON BLACKIE
Another Old Movie Blog – Jerome Cowan
Hometowns to Hollywood – Harry Davenport
Silver Screenings – Daffy Duck
Tales From the Border – Dwight Frye
Movie Movie Blog Blog – Ned Glass
Classic Film and TV Cafe – Sydney Greenstreet
Flickin’ Out – Charlotte Greenwood
Critica Retro – Wilson Grey
I See a Dark Theater – Marsha Hunt
The Motion Pictures – Allen Jenkins
Mrs. Charles – Tommy Lee Jones
Silver Scenes – Allyn Joslyn
Spellbound by Movies – Tom Kennedy
Immortal Ephemera – Guy Kibbee
The Wonderful World of Cinema – Jessie Royce Landis
CineMaven’s Essays from the Couch – Peter Lorre
The View From the Back Row – Marjorie Main
Hometowns 2 Hollywood – Una Merkel
Second Sight Cinema – Dickie Moore
The Last Drive-In – Agnes Moorehead
A Shroud of Thoughts – Frank Morgan
Shadows and Satin – Clarence Muse
Wolffian Classic Movies Digest – Margaret O’Brien
Joel’s Classic Film Passion – Una O’Connor
Movie Fan Fare – Maria Ouspenskaya
Outspoken & Freckled – Franklin Pangborn
Just a Cineast – John Qualen
LA Explorer – Rags Ragland
Old Hollywood Films – SZ ‘Cuddles’ Sakall
Portraits by Jenni – C. Aubrey Smith
Le Mot du Cinephiliaque – Harry Dean Stanton
BNoirDetour – Helene Stanton
Movie Classics – Zeffie Tilbury
Wide Screen World – Shelley Winters
Sister Celluloid – Roland Young