We seriously considered foregoing hosting more blogathons, but then we talked about the characters and could not let them go. As a result, here we are for the eighth consecutive year honoring the scene-stealing, crowd-pleasing character actors we know and love. We hope you join us.
Alongside Kellee of Outspoken & Freckled/ @IrishJayhawk66 and Paula of Paula’s Cinema Club/ @Paula_Guthat, Once Upon a Screen / @CitizenScreen extends this invitation to the WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon 2019 taking place on November 15, 16, 17, as we pay tribute to the brilliance of the supporting players. Our objective with this TCM-inspired event has always been to spotlight the lesser-known but equally talented thespians, whose names usually appeared below the title. If you wish salute your favorite on-screen character actor- the quirky maid, that ornery hotel manager, frustrated maître D’, sassy best friend, the hot-tempered heavy, flabbergasted father, sarcastic sidekick, grumpy boss, gobsmacked butler- then you’ve come to the right place. Please review the guidelines below first, and leave a comment with your choice of actor.
- Let at least one of the hosts know which character actor is your choice.
- Don’t take it for granted we know exactly who you are or where your blog resides – please include the title and URL of your blog, also your Twitter handle if you have one.
- We will not accept previously published posts, or duplicates, since there are so many greats worthy of attention, but your choices are not limited to classics. You can choose any character actor from any era and from the medium of television, which has featured talented regulars since the beginning, and continues to do so.
- Publish your WAC! post on either November 15, 16, or 17, 2019. Let us know if you have a date preference; otherwise, we’ll split hosting duties equally among the three days.
- Please include the gorgeous event banner (see below) in your What A Character! post. Paula outdid herself with the design this year. It would be great if you could help us promote this event.
- Thank you for sending any of us the direct link to your post once you have published it. Searching on social media sites can lead to missed entries.
- HAVE FUN and happy blogging!
Blogs and Character Actors
The Movie Night’s Group Guide to Classic Film – Fay Bainter in The Lady and the Mob (1939)
Pure Entertainment Preservation Society – Humphrey Bogart as Character Actor
The Lady Eve’s Reel Life – Joyce Compton
Second Sight Cinema – Charles Coburn
Maddy Loves her Classic Films – Henry Daniell
Paula’s Cinema Club – Richard Erdman
A Shroud of Thoughts – Frank Faylen
The Classic Movie Muse – Margaret Hamilton
Carole & Co. – Hedda Hopper
Once Upon a Screen – Marjorie Main in The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap (1947)
Silver Screen Classics Blog – Barton MacLane
Outspoken & Freckled – Frank McHugh
Wide Screen World – Una O’Connor
Silver Screenings – Franklin Pangborn
Paula’s Cinema Club – Brad Pitt
Gary Pratt on Outspoken & Freckled – Donald Pleasance
That William Powell Site – William Powell
The Last Drive In – Thelma Ritter
Nickie’s Vintage Life – Charlie Ruggles
A Person in the Dark – Estelle Winwood
The Cinephile & Mrs. Muir – Keenan Wynn
Caftan Woman – George Zucco
The Story Enthusiast – Compilation of Several Character Actors