Blogging awards that are passed on by one blogger to another are time-consuming to accept, if one takes them seriously. They are also a lot of fun if one dedicates some creativity to the response. I do both. Or try to, in any case. And the reason I do is that these awards mean something to me. They mean that somebody, somewhere is reading and appreciating my blog posts. Somebody is enjoying what I put out there on Once Upon a Screen enough to think of it when they are deciding who to nominate. When those “somebodys” are other bloggers I admire, it’s also an honor. OK – these are not Oscars, I get that – but they still give me excuses to post fabulous images like the one I used as the featured one for this post. Already, this has paid off in classics joy!
So here I am – luckily – once again thanking fellow bloggers for honors they’ve bestowed upon this blog – three honors in this case from two great supporters of Once Upon a Screen. So, I simply cannot ignore them.
Here we go…
Movies, Silently has nominated Once Upon a Screen for the One Lovely Blog Award.
About Movies, Silently, a website dedicated to the lost art of silent films – because, (borrowed directly from her website), “Silent movies occupy a twilight realm between books and talking pictures. Because both our eyes and imaginations are engaged at the same time, silent movies have the power to absorb and enchant far beyond talking pictures.” Fritzi, the talent and passion responsible for Movies, Silently is also one of the most prolific bloggers I know.
You may want to take a look at this post about blogging awards recently published by Fritzi – Blogging Awards and What to do About Them.
The One Lovely Blog Award rules to abide by:
1. Add the “One Lovely Blog Award” image to your post
2. Share seven things about you
3. Pass the award on to seven nominees
4. Thank the person who nominated you
5. Inform the nominees by posting on their blogs
If ever I refuse an awards mention bestowed upon Once Upon a Screen it’ll be because I can’t come up with interesting things to list about myself that I haven’t already shared. I struggle to find seven tidbits for this, but here goes:
1. My favorite childhood toy – pencils!
I was lucky to have more than my share of toys growing up. I especially loved playing with tea sets. But my fondest and most indelible memories are of the days right after my family and I arrived in this country when I was five – before there were means by which to buy toys. I remember spending hours playing “house” with pencils. The largest one was the father, the medium one, the mother and the smaller ones the children. Those pencil families were loads of fun!
2. I prefer sunsets to sunrises.
3. I’ve seen more new-to-me classic films in the past few weeks than I did all of last year.
4. I haven’t lived in New York City, where I grew up, for many years yet still have a hard time saying I’m not “from” there when people ask.
5. The second film festival for which I was granted media credentials is coming up in a couple of weeks and I’m thrilled! The first, of course, was the Turner Classic Movies Film Festival this April. In two weeks I’m going to Rome!
Well, OK – it’s Rome, NY but still.
6. I want to start dedicating posts to classic films and/or actors I’ve never liked for a change of pace on Once Upon a Screen. However, I find it difficult to find the motivation for those since my various, fabulous loves take up all my energy.
7. A confession – I still feel somewhat inadequate as a blogger when I join some blogathon events and consider the caliber of writers/bloggers that join them. I venture forth but only after having to convince myself to do so.
Michael of It Rains…You Get Wet has nominated Once Upon a Screen for two, yes TWO awards.
About It Rains…You Get Wet – written by a passionate cinephile who delves into films from the perspective of the heart. A lover of all film eras. From his own blog, “He knew the risks, he didn’t have to be there. It rains… you get wet.” I admire (those words) because it’s a small bit of words that speaks volumes. Hopefully, it’s what I strive to do with the blog.”
The Sunshine Award
The Sunshine Award rules:
- Include the award’s logo in a post or on your blog.
- Link to the person who nominated you.
- Answer 10 questions about yourself (use these or come up with your own).
- Nominate 10 bloggers.
- Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs, letting them know they have been nominated.
The WordPress Family Award
The rules for this one are similar to those noted above so I’m not repeating them. One difference is this one requires I answer ten questions about myself. I’m repeating the questions listed on Michael’s blog.
1. My favorite actor:
NO WAY I can choose just one – you should know me by now.
There are several actors of the female persuasion whose work I enjoy as well. But I’ve a new-found appreciation for one in particular as a result of my recent post for the Dynamic Duos in Classic Films blogathon so she gets the only mention here today…I think she’d have been especially appreciative of that.
2. My favorite number:
It’s perfection. Artistic – no end and no beginning.
3. My favorite TV show:
I’m ignoring the classics here because I’d be unable to choose just one – yet again.
For many reasons…
4. My favorite day of the week:
Easy one…even coffee tastes better on a…
5. My favorite tear-jerker soundtrack:
I’m not sure I actually have one of these…but…
“Your girl is lovely, Hubbell” and that perfectly-pitched, familiar humming starts…Memories. PHEW!
Original music by Marvin Hamlisch.
“Yes, I can see now.” PHEW!
Original music by Charlie Chaplin.
6. My favorite color:
7. My favorite flower:
Can I say the Calla Lily because it’s in bloom again?
I’m actually not picky about flowers and enjoy lots of color – LIFE!
8. My favorite food:
Cuban! Particularly, my mother’s cooking.
9. My favorite sport:
New York Yankees baseball.
10. My favorite place to relax:
Home – watching classic movies – with a glass of wine and good company.
That’s it about me. For the next part I’m combining the requirement of all the awards listed and making note of ten blogs I enjoy visiting – in appreciation – taking into account the ones that may have been mentioned by Fritzi and Michael to avoid being redundant. Although I may well have nominated these for previous awards. I can’t keep track any longer. Naturally, each can participate as fully or not at all as they like.
Sarah’s Place – “embracing the simpler side of life.” From recipes to books it’s always fun to visit with Sarah.
Backlots – a standard in classic film blogging.
Beguiling Hollywood – for a little historical perspective on classic film.
Seetimaar – Dianry of a Movie Lover – film “whistle-blower.” A passionate perspective.
The Motion Pictures – “Films every day, with a mid-20th Century focus!”
Portraits by Jenni – “The views and opinions of a mid-west mom of seven,” who happens to be a fan of classic film.
Moniqueclassique’s Blog – this one is a blog I ran into fairly recently. It’s great.
Following are Blogger sites that I suppose wouldn’t qualify for the WordPress family award, but who cares because they’re wonderful:
Christmas TV History – “discusses popular culture through the lens of Christmas TV programming.” Fantastic fun!
The Lady Eve’s Reel Life – A lover of classic film and simply one of the best writers out there.
Classicfilmboy’s Movie Paradise – “An oasis for lovers of classic films from the silent era to the 1960s.”
Movies, Silenty and It Rains…You Get Wet. Again.